Can “happily ever after” involve something other than a monogamous couple? Do you have a great modern relationship story? We want to hear your story and share it with the world!
Modern relationships can look very different from two people in an exclusive relationship. The lives and loves of people in polyamorous/polyfidelitous, queer, kinky and others are defined by an intentional journey of self-discovery between consenting adults, where honesty and open communication are the main currency in relationships, not sexual or emotional exclusivity.
Open Love NY works with our 1,000-plus membership to educate the public about the existence and merits of responsible relationship choices between consenting adults. Open Love NY is sponsoring the Unchained Love Playwriting Competition to create original theatrical works that explore a world where lasting happiness can include more than just monogamy.
Plays exploring this theme should acknowledge the existence of modern relationship choices and can involve any topic viewed through a lens where those choices exist.
All entries and questions/inquiries should be emailed to Mischa Lin, Producer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and updates, visit olnyplay.blogspot.com
- The competition is open to any playwright, and there is no limit to the number of entries submitted by a single playwright. There is no entry fee.
- Entries must be original plays or musicals. They also may be co-authored, based upon factual material or an adaptation. The applicant must be the owner and controller of the copyright. The legal clearance of materials not in the public domain is the full responsibility of the playwright.
- Works previously produced or published or entered in prior competitions are ineligible.
- No revisions will be accepted once a script has been submitted.
- No written or oral critique will be given on plays submitted.
- Entries may be submitted starting July 1, 2013 and must be received no later than December 15, 2013 to be considered.
- There are separate categories for full-length plays and one-act plays. One winning full-length play will receive a cash prize of $750. One winning play in the one-act category will receive a cash prize of $250. Winning plays will be announced in February 2014. Winning plays and others chosen for honorable mention will be featured in a public reading in March or April 2014. Winning plays will be shopped to various theater companies to secure a staged reading/workshop and eventual full production, although production is not guaranteed.
- Open Love NY reserves the right to accept or reject any play entered in the contest.
- Works that are deemed by the judging panel to foment homo-, bi- or transphobia, misogyny/misandry, rape culture, or hatred toward specific groups of people will be rejected. Playwrights are also encouraged to think beyond cisgender/heteronormativity and binary gender, although this is not a requirement.
- Scripts must be submitted electronically either in PDF or Microsoft Word format. A synopsis of the play (100-word limit) and author’s bio (100-word limit) must also be submitted, both in Word format.
- All entries and questions/inquiries should be emailed to Mischa Lin, Producer, at email@example.com